Position Title: Sous Chef
Position Summary: An on-site <50 person venue, the Sous Chef is responsible for assisting the Chef and Culinary Manager in the day-to-day operations of the Turner Farm Teaching Kitchen. As the Sous Chef of the Turner Farm Teaching Kitchen, he/she/they will assist in educational content through setting up, preparing, and cleaning after daily demonstrations and classes, as well as helping to highlight current seasonal farm offerings, recipes, and preparations. The position will focus on supporting the Chef and Culinary Manager in the supervision of clients both internal and external in nature with a pedagogical emphasis on the interconnectivity of cooking and nutrition. With a state-of-the-art teaching and demonstration kitchen housed in a historic barn, in the middle of one of Cincinnati’s oldest and largest organic farms, the Sous Chef’s ability to connect with children and families along with providing support to the Chef and Culinary Manager as well as the Director of Events is of special importance. With the Turner Farm Teaching Kitchen having a close association with the local Center for Integrative Health & Wellness as well as the national Teaching Kitchen Collaborative, the Sous Chef should be prepared to work in a teaching environment with medical students and other medical professionals, and to support the delivery of a superior educational experience.
Reports to: Chef and Culinary Manager, Director of Events, and Executive Director of Turner Farm
Works with: Culinary Staff, Outside Caterers, Community, other Turner Farm employees as required.
Supervises: Anyone or any group using the Turner Farm Teaching Kitchen space including but not limited to: Other kitchen staff, CIA externs, class or event participants.
- Assisting educational programs of the Turner Farm Teaching Kitchen.
- Assisting in the development of recipes focused on seasonal produce alongside health and wellness initiatives using the most recent and relevant scientific and nutritional data available as well as seasonal produce.
- Assist in the instruction of private and public classes using the abovementioned recipes and nutritional concepts.
- Work closely with, and coordinate Turner Farm efforts in relation to the Teaching Kitchen with outside partners i.e.; University of Cincinnati Center for Integrative Health and Wellness, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, CIA
- Aiding in the preparation of general culinary demonstrations emphasizing good health and good taste in the public seating area of the Studio Barn. Demonstrations will include tasting portions and typed recipes for handouts.
- Aid in delivery, receiving, and storage of all food, beverage, tools, in a timely manner.
- Offer suggestions in the seasonal planting and ongoing maintenance of the Turner Farm produce.
- Help in the utilization of Turner Farm produce as a resource and teaching tool to emphasize the connection between nature, health, cooking, and good taste.
- Assist in the establishment and maintenance of operating standards and procedures to train additional culinary staff members to assist and/or potentially perform culinary demonstrations.
- Aid in the collection of simple nutritional and epidemiological studies containing nutritional components relating to materials being taught in the Turner Farm Teaching Kitchen.
- Participate and/or assist in the conduction of in-service educational sessions with professional staff and support services personnel.
- Assist in the coordination of community-wide standards of healthy eating emphasizing health and wellness concepts representative of the most current scientific and nutritional thinking.
- Participate in community programs and events promoting the Turner Farm Teaching Kitchen goals.
- Maintain the Turner Farm Teaching Kitchen, equipment, and related areas in an as-new condition 24/7.
- Outstanding culinary demonstration skills
- Culinary Arts Degree, Certificate or Diploma (AOS degree preferred)
- Bachelor Degree in culinary arts, public health, nutrition, dietetics or related field (not necessary, but highly encouraged)
- Ability to connect with children & families
- Food Handler or ServSafe card
- Social Skills
Availability: This position is open immediately.
Salary: Salary is commensurate with experience and the range is available upon request.
Apply for the Turner Farm Sous Chef Position
To apply, please send your cover letter and resumé to Chef Stephanie Michalak at email@example.com