Get to know the UC Center for Integrative Health and Wellness!
Vision: Our vision is to be transformational leaders in integrative health and wellness.
Mission: Our mission is to improve the health of our local and global community through innovative, internationally-recognized research, education, clinical practice, and community engagement efforts focused on integrative health and wellness.
For more information, news and updates from the UC Center for Integrative Health and Wellness, sign up for their newsletter here.
Wellness at Turner Farm
Spring 2018 Community Education Series
Heart Health: Tea, Coffee, Chocolate and Wine
Mehran Attari, MD
Three of our favorite beverages and one of our favorite snacks—tea, coffee, chocolate and wine—are more than just enjoyable indulgences. The latest medical research points to a multitude of health benefits for those who choose the highest quality beverages and chocolate in the correct amounts. Join cardiologist Dr. Mehran Attari on this exploration of the life-enhancing, healthy aspects of tea, coffee, chocolate and wine, including:
- Learning the medical benefits of these beverages
- Exploring the limitations of available data
- Understanding the hazards of overuse
- Learning the general recommendations for use
Join Dr. Attari to learn how you can modify your love of tea, coffee, chocolate and wine to turn vices into healthy habits.
Farm Fresh lunch included!
Gut Health for Wellness
Lauri Nandyal, MD
A properly functioning digestive system is crucial for good health. With three-fourths of our immune system and 90% of our neurotransmitters housed in and around those 20 feet of intestines, problems in our GI tract can cause more than just digestive problems. They can be at the root of many chronic health problems including system-wide inflammation, hormonal imbalance, and mood disorders. Join Dr. Lauri Nandyal, functional medicine physician, for this class focused on optimizing gut – brain communication for wellness. At this event we’ll begin to:
- Understand digestive processes and detect common hazards
- Explore intestinal ecology, the gut microbiome
- Clarify how food informs gut wellness
- Learn how digestion and gut health influence the immune system
- Expand our understanding of the Gut-Brain connection
- Connect mindfulness based stress reduction to gut health
A farm-fresh lunch prepared by Chef Stephanie is included!