Yield: 1, 9×5 loaf
Whole Wheat Flour 400 grams
Bread Flour 50 grams
Salt 1 tsp
Water, warm 425mL
Molasses 1 Tbsp
Active Dry Yeast 2 ½ tsp
- In a bowl: mix together the whole wheat flour, bread flour, and salt. In a measuring cup: place 150mL of warm water. Add the molasses and active dry yeast. Stir and let sit for five minutes. Add the remaining 275mL, stir, and pour into the flours.
- Mix well for a few minutes to develop some gluten structure. The dough will be more of a batter and look a little like oatmeal. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit for ten minutes.
- Line a 9×5 loaf pan with parchment paper and oil. Place the dough into the pan and cover with plastic wrap or a clean tea towel. Allow the dough to rise until it reaches the top of the loaf pan, roughly 20 minutes. While the dough is rising: preheat the oven to 425F.
- Once the dough has risen to the top of the loaf pan. Begin to bake the loaf for 20 minutes at 425F.
- After the 20 minutes, remove the loaf from the oven, run a butter knife along the edges and remove the loaf from the pan. Reduce the oven temperature to 400F and place the loaf back in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before cutting into pieces and lathering with butter.