Butternut Squash and Spinach Galette
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
2 Tbs Olive Oil
2 red onions, sliced
1 Tbs fresh Thyme leaves
6 ounces baby spinach
Salt and pepper to taste
½ cup heavy cream
1 cup grated parmesan cheese, + 2 Tbs
1 recipe whole wheat walnut pie crust
1 egg white
- Toss squash with 1 Tbs olive oil and spread out on a baking sheet in a single layer. Roast at 350 degrees until tender, about 25 minutes. Cool slightly and place in a medium bowl.
- Heat the other Tbs of oil in a medium skillet on medium high heat. Add the red onion and sauté for 5-7 minutes until well browned., stirring frequently so as not to burn the onions.
- Add thyme leaves and and spinach, cook for 2 more minutes. Remove the onions and spinach from the pan to the bowl with the squash. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cream to the now empty pan to deglaze. Let this reduce over low heat for 1-2 minutes until a bit thicker. Pour the cream into the bowl with the squash and the onions. Add the 1 cup parmesan cheese and toss gently so you do not smash up all of the squash.
- Roll out the pie crust on a sheet of parchment to an 18” circle. Brush entire crust with egg white. Sprinkle 8” circle in the center of the crust with the remaining 2 Tbs parmesan cheese. Spoon the squash mixture onto the parmesan.
- Using the parchment paper to help, fold up the edges of the pastry onto the filling leaving a hole in the center. Brush entire top of the pastry (and the filling that is exposed) with the egg white. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Slide galette and parchment onto a baking sheet. Bake in a 350-degree oven for about 35-40 minutes, until lightly browned.