Yield: ~16-24 servings
Tomatoes 2 1/2 pounds
Fresh Breadcrumbs 3 cups
Garlic Powder 3 Tablespoons
Basil, dried 2 Tablespoons
Thyme, dried 1 Tablespoon
Fennel Seed, torn 1 Tablespoon
Olive Oil 1/2 cup, divided
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a medium bowl: mix together the breadcrumbs, garlic powder and all herbs. Lay in a shallow layer on a sheet tray, drizzle liberally with oil, bake for 8-10 minutes. Toss the breadcrumbs with a spatula and drizzle with oil every 10 minutes until lightly golden brown. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Slice tomatoes into 1/8”-1/4” thicknesses and refrigerate in a non-metal container until needed.
- Generously coat the bottom of your serving vessel with breadcrumbs, lay a slice of tomato down, then top it with a healthy mound of breadcrumbs. Top with cheese if you’d like.
- These are great ice cold, room temperature, broiled for ~5 minutes, or baked at 350° for ~10-20 minutes.
- If using Roma or other small tomatoes, try cutting them in half instead of slices for a quick side dish.
- Pestos, balsamic reductions, flavored oils and fresh herbs are outstanding garnishes for this dish.
Tomato Vinegar Reduction
Yield: ~1/2 cup
Tomato Scraps 1 cup
Balsamic Vinegar 1/2 cup
Champagne Vinegar 1/2 cup
Brown Sugar 3 Tablespoons
- In a small saucepan on medium heat, combine all ingredients and allow to simmer lightly for 20-30 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and discard any solids.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes to reduce the vinegar by about half.
- Cool and store in the refrigerator for no more than 2 weeks.
Honeydew-Jalapeno Spiked Chimichurri
Yield: ~1 1/2 cups
Cilantro, chopped 1 cup
Parsley, chopped 3/4 cup
Red Wine Vinegar 2 Tbsp
Honeydew-Jalapeno Shrub 1/3 cup
Lime Juice 3 Tablespoons
Jalapeno, diced 1 each
Garlic 2-3 cloves
Salt and Pepper to taste
Oil ~3/4 cup
- Place everything but the oil, salt and pepper into a food processor. Blend until smooth. Once smooth, slowly add the oil and season with salt and pepper.Be sure to scrape the work-bowl down periodically to ensure even blending.
- Remove from the blender and let stand for at least 20 minutes or refrigerate overnight before using for best flavor.