Fonio & Sweet Potato Greens Salad
- 1 Tbsp, divided - Olive Oil
- 1 tsp - Garlic, minced
- ½ tsp - Cumin, ground
- 2 cups - Water
- ½ tsp - Salt
- 1 each - Bay leaf
- 1 cup - Fonio, raw
- 2 Tbsp - Golden Raisins
- 1 cup - Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 cup - Cilantro, chopped
- 1x Recipe - Maple-Peanut Dressing -- See Recipe, or use favorite dressing
- 2 cups - Sweet Potato Greens, stems removed, thinly sliced
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp - Lime Juice
- ½ cup - Coconut Flakes, toasted
- In a small sauce pot, add half of the olive oil, garlic, and cumin over medium heat. Allow to get aromatic—roughly 30 seconds to a minute. Add the water, salt, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil.
- Turn off the heat. Add the fonio and golden raisins. Cover with a lid and allow for the fonio to absorb the liquid for 5 minutes. Remove the lid, fluff with a fork and place onto a baking tray, or bowl, to cool down. Remove the bay leaf. Allow to cool completely.
- Once cooled, place in a medium bowl with the red bell pepper and cilantro. Toss with about half of the peanut dressing. Reserve.
- In another medium sized bowl, place the sweet potato greens. Add a pinch of salt, the remaining olive oil and lime juice. Toss to coat.
- On a serving platter, spoon the fonio mixture. Top with the sweet potato greens and garnish with the coconut flakes. Drizzle additional peanut dressing on top. Serve and enjoy.
If you cannot find fonio: grains like millet, quinoa, or sorghum may be substituted. However, cooking time and the amount of water needed for the grain may vary.