Yield: 10 Portions
Tomatoes, cored and quartered 5 pounds
Garlic, sliced 1 head
Basil ¼ bunch
Oregano 1 sprig
Thyme 4 sprigs
Olive oil ½ cup
Salt as needed
Ground black pepper as needed
Onions, diced 1 cup
Celery, small diced ½ cup
Carrots, small diced ½ cup
Olive Oil 2 Tbsp
- On a parchment lined baking tray, combine tomatoes, garlic, basil, oregano, thyme (full sprigs, do not chop), olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly. Roast in a 400°F oven for 20 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, sweat the onions, celery, and carrots in olive oil until translucent.
- Combine the roasted tomatoes and vegetables and cook on a low simmer for 30 minutes.
- Pass the tomato sauce through the fine die of a food mill, or blend in a food processor until smooth.
- Use with pasta or chill, and reserve for later use.