MASAMAN CURRY PASTE
- 1/3 cup Chilies, dried, small red
- 2 Tbsp. Cumin seed
- 1 tsp. Coriander seed
- 1 tsp. Peppercorn, white
- 1 tsp. Clove, whole
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon, ground
- 1 tsp. Mace, ground
- 1 tsp. Nutmeg, ground
- 1 tsp. Cardamom, ground
- 3 stalks Lemongrass, thinly sliced .
- 1 Tbs Galangal, ⅛–inch slices
- 2tsp. Kosher Salt
- ½ Cup Garlic, thinly sliced
- ½ Cup Shallot, thinly sliced
- 1Tbs Shrimp paste, optional
- Wash and stem the chilies. Coarsely chop and place in a small bowl. Cover with warm water and soak for 20 minutes.
- Toast the cumin, coriander, peppercorns and cloves in a dry pan for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a small bowl to cool. Toast the ground spices the same way, stirring
- frequently, until they darken a little, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl. Grind
- the whole spices to a fine powder in a mortar and pestle or in a spice grinder.
- Combine with the roasted ground spices and set aside.