- 1 ea - Chickens (about 3-4 lbs)
- 2 fl oz - Vegetable oil or Olive oil
- 2 tsp - Kosher salt
- 2 tsp - Ground pepper
- 1 ea - Thyme sprigs, chopped
- 1 ea - Rosemary sprig, chopped
- Preheat an oven to 450F.
- Rub the skin of the chicken with oil salt, pepper, thyme and rosemary.
- Place chickens, breast side up, on a rack in a roasting pan in a 450°F/232°C oven. Once the chickens have developed a golden-brown appearance, approximately 15-20 minutes, turn down the temperature to 350°F/177°C.
- Roast for approx.45 minutes and continue to roast until the thigh meat registers an internal temperature of 165°F/74°C.
- Once 165F internal temperature has been achieved. Take the chicken out of the oven and allow to cool until able to handle.
- Carve into portions and serve.
- Roasted chicken can be used in many recipes including soup, chilled salads, quick stews.
- Freeze leftover carcasses until enough have built up in the freezer to make a strong stock that can be used in many other dishes.
- Placing citrus peel, spices, additional herbs and seasonings in the cavity of the chicken is optional. Some cooks enjoy the subtle aromas and flavors that this technique can add to the finished preparation.
Fabricating a Whole Chicken
Turner Farm’s pasture-raised chicken is one of our most popular products. However, some customers are hesitant to purchase our whole chickens because they don’t know how to break down the entire bird into individual cuts. Take a look at this step by step video featuring Chef Stephanie Michalak in our Teaching Kitchen!