Sourdough (or Buttermilk) Biscuits
All-Purpose Flour 2 cups
Sugar 1 tsp
Baking Powder 1 Tbsp
Salt 1 tsp
Butter, cubed, chilled 8 Tbsp
Sourdough Starter or Buttermilk 1 cup
- Preheat an oven to 425F and line two baking trays with parchment.
- In a large bowl whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together.
- Add the butter and pinch into the flour until the mixture looks like course sand.
- Make a well and add the milk slowly. Fold the sour dough starter or buttermilk into the biscuit mix and only add enough for the mixture to come together.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the biscuits to your desired thickness. Cut into squares or use a cutter (or floured top end of a glass cup) to cut into circles. Place onto the parchment lined trays and bake for roughly 12 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven. Allow to cool slightly and serve.
- You can add dried herbs and spices, like dried chives or powdered onions, to make the biscuits more savory– you can also add shredded cheese like cheddar or parmesan!
- You can instead add dried fruit, like dried cranberries, and brush the tops of the biscuits with egg wash or buttermilk before sprinkling with organic sugar to make sweeter versions.